The life cycle of a Paralogos is quite complex -- This Chapter looks to cover what's currently understood about their lives.
Please click through on this image to see even more details about Paralogos and their life cycle!
For a Paralogos to grow into an adult, they must be able to center themselves around a powerful idea.
Before this, these little dinosaur-oid creatures appear rather neutral. Whatever the idea of 'neutral' is to you, reader.
Whether that means lack of coloration, lack of markings or features... these young Paralogos don't look particularly special in any way. They're quite small as well.
Affectionately called 'tabula rasa' (blank slates) these Paralogos can be found even away from libraries. Libraries are the places this species loves most, and it is where a Paralogos will remain with a caretaker-- but in the rare areas of natural life of Lingua, wild Paralogos will and can appear.
Paralogos are deeply connected to the energy of the environment itself, the planet, one might say. Coursing with knowledge and ideas, the world is permeated with this energy. As such, Paralogos 'eggs' can appear anywhere and anytime.
They are much more likely to appear in spaces that are more untouched by human influence. The less an area is touched by people, the easier it is for the tabula rasa Paralogos to form and crystallize from the natural energy of Lingua. The stronger a human influence, the less time a Paralogos has to really grow and discover their word focus.
Caretakers can very rarely find these eggs, more often finding newly 'hatched' Paralogos, and try to influence them at times. However, if the young Paralogos has already taken an interest in something, or has been around a certain 'idea' for some time already- that growth cannot be altered.
As Paralogos mature, they begin to look more and more like their word association, eventually becoming full adults.
At this stage, they can begin working with tier innate magic.
Should you find a young Paralogos- you can aid in raising them by helping them discover their word focus and aiding them in pursuing knowledge of it. If you suspect you've discovered your "blank slate's" word focus, you may even help them grow quicker than normal- but in a healthy way.
Individuals who look to morph young Paralogos unthinkingly can only do harm to these creatures.
Most caretakers will only work with Paralogos already aged, as they seek out libraries more dedicatedly at this point- of course.
As for aging Paralogos-- it is a bit curious... they don't seem to age physically after adulthood as other creatures do.
More investigation must proceed, as no one has found or observed a 'dying of old age' Paralogos. The elders of this species appear to mentally age, more than actually age due to time's influence. Or they age due to their word focus fading out of thought and mind...
Now... for death-- it seems that words becoming forgotten entirely can affect these creatures. Information forgotten, this is how an idea truly dies.
"Ideas are more difficult to kill than people, but they can be killed, in the end.”
Quote attrib. to Neil Gaiman's American Gods novel.
Additional notes from the linked image's page:
Life Cycle Summarized, Continued:
- If not clear from the above, Paralogos do not sexually reproduce, these eggs that form are formations of the energy of Lingua itself.
- In theory, Paralogos are all asexual, as in, they have no genitals/no sexual interest in one another.
- They may feel affection or romance for one another, however, and certain Paralogos may feel more predisposed to super-affectionate behavior. They can have many other types of relationships!
Summary of Life Cycle:
- "Spark" of Lingua's energy ->
- Forms into neutral tabula rasa dinosaur -->
- As they're exposed more to an idea/term they like they develop features and get bigger as they age -->
- They take on a "permanent" adult form. --->
- Possibly age if they mentally choose to do so or due to external factors. --->
- ???? (Fade when word is removed from their presence for an extended period of time).
Additional Notes on Size:
- Paralogos are sized between 40 and 100 cm, 15-39~ ish inches.
- This can vary based on word. For words like 'microscopic' or 'giant', these limits can be stretched to a minimum of 20 cm and a maximum of 140 cm. (Approximately 8 and 55 in, respectively.)
- Their exact height is measured from them in a relaxed pose, from the top of their head to the bottom of their feet. This means that by balancing their tail backwards, they can actually reach taller heights, but the same would be said of a human standing on their tip toes.
- Wicked Paralogos are the only exception to these size limits.